New Faculty Prep
We are thrilled to have you as a dedicated instructor at the Robert H. Smith School of Business! The UMD Smith School’s Office of Transformational Learning (OTL) is here to support faculty advance their teaching skills, maximize student learning, and create a positive classroom climate.
Here you’ll find a basic checklist of items you need to prepare, organize, and optimize your class throughout the year. You can also use this printable version of the checklist for your own records.
Start with the Teaching at Maryland Smith FAQ
Before Classes Begin
- Get Started Online with Maryland Smith
- Check out UMD's Faculty Affairs website for logistics e.g. parking, ID, etc.
- Order your course textbook
- Create/Review your syllabus
- Align your course objectives and assessments
- Check if your courses have Assurance of Learning (AoL) objectives
- Contact coordinator if unsure
- Visit the classroom space
- Upload your syllabus to Canvas/ELMS two weeks before the start of class
- Familiarize yourself with on-campus resources for students & faculty
- Review your student roster and prepare an ice-breaking activity for the first day of class
- Request TAs using the Maryland Smith TA Request Process for Faculty
During the Semester
- Ensure you highlight student expectations and class policies on the first day!
- Clarify the processes for assessments and academic integrity for the class
- Randomly assign groups for group work (if relevant)
- Share and uphold office hours and email responsiveness policies
- Contact OTL for any teaching resources or questions throughout the year
- Provide timely feedback for students
- Submit final grades on UMEG within 48 hours of final assessment completion
- Celebrate having successfully completed the semester!